By Sabria Henderson, News Writer

On November 5, 2017, Devin Patrick Kelley shot up a church, killing victims from ages five to 72 at First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, not long after 11 A.M. Sunday morning service began.

According to The New York Times, Kelley was armed with a Ruger military-style rifle when he fired upon First Baptist Church, which led to multiple people dying and others wounded. Among the dead was a pregnant woman, the pastor’s 14-year-old daughter, and several children; 20 were wounded.

This was named one of the deadliest mass shootings in the history of the state of Texas.

“People go to church for many different reason,” Junior Malaysia Johnson said. “Some personal and some others not as much but maybe he had a mental break about things that were going in his life. Causing him to take it out on the wrong people.”

While entering the church, Kelly yelled out “Everybody die…” while walking up and down the aisles, then started to shoot at people in the pews.

“No one actually knows where or when a person will break, but I think that everyone shows signs that could be helpful to the people around them,” Amber Perry, Eighth Grader, of W.G Sanders Middle School, said.

According to The New York Times, while in the act of leaving the church, Kelly was confronted by Stephen Willeford, a local resident and former NRA firearms instructor, who was armed with an AR-15 pattern semi-automatic rifle. Willeford took two shots at Kelly, one in the leg and the other in the upper left part of his torso.  Kelly dropped his rifle and then soon started to flee in his Ford Explorer, while still firing back at Willeford.

According to CNN, Willeford fired another shot at Kelley as he sped off north on FM 539. He then noticed a pickup truck parked at the intersection of 4th St. and FM 539, driven by Johnnie Langendorff.

He approached and entered Langendorff’s truck; then Langendorff called the police, reporting their location to an operator. The police chased after Kelley at about 95 miles per hour into the next county.

“In my personal opinion no place can actually consider safe nowadays, anywhere can be turned into a place where someone could potential lose their life,” Administer Sarah Oshea of Warren G. Harding High School in Philadelphia, said.

According to CNN, during the chase Kelley made his very last call to his father, stating he was injured, and he would not make it. Due to his injuries, Kelley was slowly bleeding out and lost control of his vehicle then crashed, hitting a road sign.

Kelley was motionless, and moments later the crime scene was taken over by police. He was found in his with three gunshot wounds, including a self-inflicted head shot wound.

“But for me it’s not what the killer is thinking at that moment but it’s after,” Perry said.